Friday, March 6, 2009

Sigh...what a good read

So good, so sad

Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo really gave me pause. Not only will it leaving you thinking about the past, but if you're under 60 or so, you'll think hard about your future, too.

I'll admit it though: The first 150 pages or so were slow as molasses. I was looking forward to the couple's trip to Italy almost as much as they were, only to learn---through patience and thoughtful introspection---that this book is hardly about the physical journeys we make. Instead, author Richard Russo takes us on a journey that spans a lifetime in terms of people, a town, and the ebb and flow of all the things that drive our choices in this life.

Of course I saw a bit of myself in Lucy---ever the idealist, the person who wants (dare I say, needs) to see the good in all people, all the time. And a bit in his wife, too, as the woman who refuses to wonder aloud, "What if. . . ?" for fear of not appreciating the good---albeit predictable---life she's chosen.

Russo is a genius at character development and casting multiple voices that all seem to make sense without leaving the reader dazed or confused. No matter your age, race, economic status or geographic location, this book has something for everyone.

No comments: