Monday, September 10, 2007

I won't complain

I admit it. I hate taking the kids along for trips to the grocery store. Or the dry cleaners. And you can add the beauty salon, post office, convenience store and other non-kid-friendly places to that list.

But recent events in Cincinnati give all of us who have ever left a kid in the car---even momentarily---pause. The Aug. 23 story about a middle school assistant principal who forgot her 2-year-old in a hot car all day as she worked to prepare for the first day of classes is still the talk of the town.

"What was she thinking?"

"You cannot forget a two-year-old in the car. I don't care what she says."

"Something's not right about this. She probably meant to go back and take the kid to daycare and forgot."

Those are just some of barbs I heard tossed around in beauty shops, at the soccer field and beside the neighborhood pool.

Brenda Nesselroad Slaby's little girl is gone, but it isn't too late for those of us with small children to think twice about the inconveniences we incur when having to remove them from their car seats---yes, I know, I know how much we want them to stay asleep or be quiet---when we park our cars or run into a building for "just a few minutes."

It isn't too late for those of us who despise going in for a gallon milk to think twice about taking the kids in with us, just one more time.

I was in Pizza Hut the other night picking up dinner and saw a baby in an infant carrier placed just beneath the cash register. I was curious and asked a delivery driver what was up.

"Her mom is working the grill line tonight," the driver said. "She's only six weeks old, but her mother had to work."

The point here is not only about leaving little ones unattended, but rather about the thoughtful consideration we should give to the tough choices moms make. Stories like Slaby's and the countless other day-to-day experiences we see, have or hear about should be fodder for constructive conversation.

When stories like this arise in conversation, engage others to talk about ways we can support moms and families.

Ways to back-up an overwhelmed parent trying to give their job 100 percent while being there--physically and mentally--for the family, too.

Ways to help and heal.



3 comments:

Mssylady said...

For all you young mothers who have children to take with you to your activities, this is what you should do so you don't have the problem like Brenda Nesselroad Slaby: take your child/ren inside first. Find someone you know is responsible and have them watch your child while you unload your car or do whatever you have to do. I had to do this with my grandchildren as well and it always works. Usually the children do not awake even in the winter months with the cold air. Just throw that blanket over their face get them inside, take the time to find someone to watch them, get the child comfortable and then do your thing. Believe me, you will have peace of mind while you do your business. Your child is watched and you do what you have to do and your mind is at peace...at least about your baby.
How Brenda forgot her child, I don't know, but she did...too much on the brain and no delegation of responsibility.
I am still praying for her so that her mind is restored to normal. And that she can find forgiveness for herself. It is hard enough to loose a child, but when you are responsible for that lost...well only God can give her the peace she will need to continue to live. My heart goes out to Brenda Nesselroad Slaby and her family. It will be years before she can function with any normality.

Anonymous said...

It's Paulette from CAU and the CAU Panther! So pleased to come across your blog. As a mother of three (eight and under)-- and a former journalist -- it is so refreshing to see my thoughts and fears and ruminations validated. Good luck with the blog. I, for one, will be an avid reader.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Teclado e Mouse, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mouse-e-teclado.blogspot.com. A hug.