Monday, August 20, 2007

Time for parents to get schooled

We're close. Very close. As in 'Ohmygosh where did the summer go and how will I get the kids ready for school next week?' close.

Here in the Cincinnati area, our brood heads back to class in a few days and as usual, I've got grand ideas about how to make this school term better than the last.

Part of the master plan has to do with getting---and staying---organized. Although I've written about this subject in the past and interviewed plenty 'o' moms who seem to have it altogether, I'm constantly in search of the perfect tip or the ultimate suggestion.

A friend recently forwarded me a quick list from a N.J. woman who works in corporate circles by day, runs an event planning outfit on the side and manages to be a good mommy all at the same time.

Toyi Ward, whose business was recently featured in the New York Times in a story about kids' birthday party trends, shared with me her tips on how to manage the daily balancing act:

  • Use grocery delivery if it's available in your area
  • Cook all the meat/main dishes for the week on Sunday afternoon, then
    during the week you only have to make sides.
  • Uncle Ben's 90 second microwave rice
  • Frozen veggies steamed in microwave
  • Combine bathtime and storytime
  • Make ordering pizza and a movie as standard on Fridays so that you
    get a chance to unwind from the work week
  • Drop a load of laundry in the morning before going to work, put in dry
    when you return.
  • And if you travel on business, before you leave kiss pillow cases with bright
    lipstick. Send airport post card to as soon as you arrive to hotel.
Got great ideas to share with the rest of us who are still trying to get it together? Let me hear from you.









2 comments:

Mssylady4 said...

What a great list of help for the working mother. I am in my 60's and raised by a mother who stayed at home and cooked full meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But I was a working mother and cooking was the hardest thing for me to do and pizzas, McDondld's, Burger King became popular. I soon taught my children how to be addicted to fast foods. It was so convenient and time saving. Now I know how disastrous that period of fast food eating was to my family.
So your helpful feeding tips are fantastic for these young mothers today AND for seniors like myself who do not like to cook everyday and don't want to eat sodium high pre-made meals.
The kisses on the pillow was the best of all ideas.
I used to put notes in my son's backpack and notes on his pillow. I even would send him an anonymous balloon to his school. My daughters and grandchildren now receive cards I make on my computer. I have made pillows of various sizes from pieces of material of clothing my children know were mine and I have hand stitched pillows for them. I'm home alone now, so I love to do creative things which keep me and my mind busy...LOL.
Thanks for your added ideas.

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can bruit about that I approve of with you, but you may be in the light of other options.
to the article there is even now a without question as you did in the downgrade issue of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=cuteftp professional 8.2.0.04.01.2008.1 ?
I noticed the axiom you suffer with not used. Or you use the dark methods of promotion of the resource. I take a week and do necheg